Saturday, April 29, 2017

Adulting is Hard

For those of you reading this who are adults (which I'm guessing is most of you), you almost certainly understand immediately what I mean by the title of this post. This isn't one of those whining and complaining posts, but rather just some wry and timely observations on the subject. In essence, it's going to be just one of those "life" posts that doesn't try to do anything other then let me get my thoughts out onto the paper, or rather screen...merely an exercise in letting these thoughts out of my brain and into the ether.

My life is, overall, really good and I'm incredibly thankful for what I have. I've got a loving wife, children that bring utter joy into my life, a job I really enjoy, a roof over my head, food in the fridge, and good health. I've got tons of friends and family members who I care about and who care about me in return. I really don't have anything to complain about. However, as with anyone, there are from time to time stresses and problems that arise that make life a lot less enjoyable. It's usually during these times that I'll hear my kids saying things like "I can't wait to be a grown-up!" or "I wish I was an adult right now!" Every time I hear them say things like this, I gently remind them that they have the rest of their lives to be grown-ups, but only a very short period of time to be kids. I also let them know that I'd love to be able to go back and be a kid for a little bit, to which I usually get incredulous looks of disbelief. "But what about all of the stuff you can DO when you're an adult?" they usually ask. While they're right that as an adult, I can do pretty much anything I want to (within the confines of the law, or course), it's always difficult trying to explain to them that "adulting," as we'll call it, also comes with a ridiculous amount of responsibility and stress. Just over the last six months, I went through a job layoff, looking for (and securing) a new job, a plumbing disaster that necessitated a complete remodel of our finished basement, coordinating the sale of one house and the purchase of another, filing my yearly tax return...and that's all in addition to the regular everyday issues of raising four kids and supporting my family. Obviously, I didn't do all of these by myself; I had my wife right by my side and we tackled everything together. My point is, all of that "adulting" was above and beyond even what "normal" life throws at us, yet we got through it okay with a lot of hard work, blood, sweat, tears, and praying. It's times like those, however, that make me yearn for childhood again, if only for a day or two. To have time back where my biggest responsibilities were to keep my room clean, do my homework, and get to bed early! Still, it doesn't do to dwell on the past, especially as it can never be again. Rather, it's best to keep the memories of those days close while enjoying being able to "adult" (as a verb) and all of the fun that (usually) comes along with it, not least of which for me is being a husband and a father.

No comments:

Post a Comment