Sunday, May 8, 2016

Happy Mother's Day



Today is Mother's Day here in the US, and even though it was initially an artificial holiday (still) promoted by the greeting card companies more than anything else, it *is* a nice chance to stop and acknowledge one of the most important people in our lives: our mothers. And I don't just mean our own mothers, but all of the mothers in our lives who love, nurture, and encourage us from the moment we're born and throughout our lives.

For me, personally, I'm thankful for my beautiful and amazing wife who is the mother of our four children. She is so loving and patient with them and I feel so blessed every day not only to have her in my life, but to have her as the mother of my kids. She really runs our household and keeps everything going smoothly and on schedule...I have no problem admitting that I'd be absolutely lost without her in so many ways, not least of which would be keeping the kid's lives going properly.  Yes, I am perfectly capable of taking care of my kids when my wife isn't around, but she is the glue that holds our family together and she's also my rock and the anchor in my life. For that, I'll forever be grateful...I love you, K!  

My own mother has been there for me throughout my entire life, always encouraging and indulging me. I don't mean that she let me do whatever I wanted...my parents were strict (but fair) with me growing up. Rather, I mean that anything I wanted to try, from playing a sport or musical instrument, writing or taking art lessons, anything, she was always willing to let me try for myself to see what I liked and what I was good at. It was also through my mum's (and my dad's) love of and vast knowledge of music, especially from their era of the 1960s and 70s, that I came to my own lifelong love and obsession with music. Whereas I explored my dad's record collection and discussed bands with him, my mother always had the radio on in the car or the house and knew just about every song played when I heard something that caught my ear. My love of catchy pop songs and one-hit wonder fluff from the 1960s to today is because of her. I'm still super close to my mum and I don't know what I'd do without her. I love you, Mum!

There are other mothers in my life who mean so much to me who I want to acknowledge...my two grandmothers, who have always been so warm and loving and who taught me how to cook Greek dishes, my aunt/godmother who is like a second mother to me, my aunt who is so sweet and cool to be around, my great aunt who has always been like a third grandmother, and my mother-in-law who is always so helpful and generous. So take the time today to think about what all of the mothers in your life have done (and continue to do) for you and take a minute to let them know how much you appreciate and love them.

To all of the moms out there, Happy Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment