Saturday, September 19, 2015

One Month 'Till China

In less than a month I will be boarding a plane here on the east coast and flying to China for a week in Shanghai. The closer it gets, I'm actually getting a little less nervous and a little more excited. Even the prospect of the long flight (14 hours!) doesn't seem quite as daunting to me although that is still an awfully long time to be on a plane. I'm sure I'll still have issues with how long the flight is once I finally board the plane, but being in business class will definitely help. I've been starting to think of what I should pack in my bags to occupy me on the long flights (hint: lots of books and my iPod stuffed to the gills with 140 GB of music). For me the biggest stresses of the whole trip at present are finishing my paper and presentation for the technical conference, both of which need to be completed before the end of this month. Thankfully, I've already found out that I'm presenting on the first day of the conference so once I get there and present, I'll get to spend the remainder of the week attending presentations by colleagues and enjoying the conference and Shanghai. Adding to the stress I'm under right now, my home life is in quite a bit of flux as well since Mrs. Chemist and I have recently bought a house and will be moving our family into it at the end of this month. Add in my lightning-fast weekend trip back home to Boston to see Ride in concert with a friend, as well as our son's birthday, both of which happen in the weeks immediately preceding my trip, and you can surely agree with me that my life is going to be more than a little crazy until I get back from China! 

6 comments:

  1. Drew, When is your trip to further east? Precisely, India :)

    Surely It would a memorable journey for you. Happy journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. You may not find out who wrote the above lines since I changed my profile picture and my profile name is in Hindi.
      -Nihar

      Delete
    3. Hey Nihar! I assumed it was you :). My company does have facilities in India so who knows? Maybe one day I'll go there...I'd certainly like to, I've always wanted to visit India!

      How are things with you? Hope all is well!

      Delete
  2. I don't have an iPad or Kindle Fire, but thinking of picking up one of those new Kindle Fires that's coming out very soon. They're pretty cheap, and a good thing for traveling such as this. I still don't have a good way to get Google maps, etc., and that would be a nice addition. I'm a Luddite when it comes to high tech at times. Good luck on the traveling, I can't offer much advice. Drink plenty of water, exercise some, that should help the nervous energy.

    I don't know if you watch any of the vinyl community videos on YT, but this guy, is probably the best I've seen so far: https://youtu.be/OSbLi-AJA-4

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely try to stay hydrated...I drink a LOT of water all day, every day, especially since I run regularly, but drinking enough water on the road is always a challenge...and that's considering I'm always traveling for work in the US. It's going to be even trickier in China since we've been advised to ONLY drink bottled water. That is actually something I'm a bit anxious about, that and the food. I'm an adventurous eater but we've also been advised to ONLY eat food prepared in the hotel or in fancy restaurants (ie no street food/diner-style food). I predict I'll be quite a bit lighter when I get home :)

      Delete