Sunday, February 2, 2014

My Current Exercise Routine for 2014

Don't just choose one, do BOTH!
The response I got to my recent post on my fitness goals for this year was great! As I wrote, I'm doubling down this year to get my weight loss started again after stalling at 105 lbs of weight lost for the last two years. In addition to my regular running, I've added strength training back in after I stopped weight lifting over the past several months. In fact, I've been enjoying getting back into lifting so much that I think I've settled on a pretty good routine right now, which I thought I'd share with anyone who is interested.  Obviously what works for me isn't going to work the same way for everyone but maybe it will work for some of you, maybe some of you will offer me advice on how to improve it, or maybe it will inspire some of you to try it something altogether different.

My routine has always consisted of six days of exercise a week and one day off to rest and relax. This doesn't take into account days I might miss because of family time, traveling for work (although I try to use hotel gyms as much as possible), being sick, etc.

For cardio, I'm still doing my typical three days a week with one day off in between each run. For the winter, I'm sticking to the treadmill and am solely in fitness-level-maintenance mode, so I'm only running 3-5 miles/run. In past winters I've run outside in my thermal gear but this has been an exceptionally cold winter even for New England and I've had some close calls with black ice in the past (since I run either very early in the mornings or in the evenings) so I'm playing it safe this winter. Once the weather warms up and the days begin to get longer, I'll get back outside and do my typical 4-9 mile runs each time out.

For my strength training days, this is the routine I've been doing the past month:

(I'm not going to include weight amounts since that's totally dependent on the person)

- dumbbell biceps curls (4 sets of 10, both arms)
- machine bench press (4 sets of 10)
- machine shoulder press (4 sets of 10)
- machine lat pulldowns (4 sets of 10)
- machine triceps pulldowns (4 sets of 10, both arms)
- machine standing row (4 sets of 10)
- crunches (with weight on ab machine)
- dumbbell bent over butterflys (4 sets of 10)
- dumbbell bent over rows (4 sets of 10)
- standing dumbbell oblique crunches (1 set of 50, both sides)
- finish it off with 20 minutes of cardio on the elliptical machine

There you have it. That's my strength training routine on my non-running days. I'm looking to tone up, bulk up a little bit, and restart my weight loss so I can finally drop the last 40 lbs and get to my goal weight.

I'll close with some questions: What routines do you use? Any advice to share? What works/doesn't work for you? As always, I'd love to discuss routines and fitness motivations and goals with anyone, so please feel free to chime in below in the comments section.


No comments:

Post a Comment