Friday, February 7, 2014

It Was 50 Years Ago Today (The Beatles Landed in America)

The Beatles after landing in New York City at JFK Airport, February 7, 1964

50 years ago today, The Beatles landed in America for the first time in preparation of their appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show. Having hit #1 on the US charts with "I Want to Hold Your Hand" on February 1st, 1964, an unprecedented feat for a British rock group in America, they prepared to take the country, and the world by storm. After causing Beatlemania in the UK and Europe throughout 1963, it was our turn here in the USA and here we are, 50 years later, still in the grips of it!

A special Grammys tribute to this anniversary will air in two days, on February 9, which is the anniversary of the first Ed Sullivan appearance. I've set my DVR to record it, and I suspect that the number of people watching it may rival the record-setting 70 million Americans who watched the 1964 broadcast. They appeared twice more on his show in February 1964, once in Miami and again back in New York City (but taped after the first appearance).


To get you in the mood, here are all three of the original shows from 1964, in order.



Both of my parents watched this live in 1964...my dad had just turned 10 and my mother was not quite 7. I'm going to ask them for their memories after the special airs on Sunday night. That being said, I'd love to hear from any of you readers who were there in 1964 and saw this as it happened, whether in person or on TV...please share your memories with us in the comments section below!

No comments:

Post a Comment