Thursday, January 9, 2014

The Wizard Turns 70



Happy 70th birthday to one of the greatest guitarists, songwriters, and producers of all time, Jimmy Page. If you're looking for a true master of the instrument, both electric and acoustic, look no further than Page.  In addition to steering the good ship Led Zeppelin for their entire career (1968-1980), he also made a name for himself as the top session guitarist in London in the early 1960s and was the last of the three legends (preceded by Clapton and Beck) to cut their teeth with the Yardbirds before going on to bigger and greater things. On a personal note, he's one of my musical inspirations, and I have fond memories of playing air guitar to my dad's Zeppelin records as a kid, and later on learning how to play guitar by playing along to Zeppelin records/tapes/CDs (among other bands). I was fortunate to see Jimmy and Robert Plant live in concert and that's an experience I'll never forget.

And if you haven't already seen it, here's my review of a very good biography on Jimmy.

No comments:

Post a Comment