Friday, January 31, 2014

It Don't Come Easy: I'll Be Seeing Another Beatle, Ringo, This Summer!


Last summer, I fulfilled a lifelong dream as a Beatle fanatic and saw Paul McCartney live in Boston. I was lucky to share the experience with my mother, who along with my father not only nurtured, encouraged, and supported my love of listening to and playing music from a young age, but shares my love for the Beatles and their music. It was really special to be able to share that with her and I know she enjoyed it as much as I did, being a first generation Beatles fan herself. This summer, we're going to see the other living Beatle, Ringo Starr! He will be playing in Providence, Rhode Island in June and as of this morning, mum and I have tickets to see Ringo. It should be a great time full of songs of his from both the Beatles and his solo career that we know by heart, as well as some songs by the other guys in his All-Starr Band that are radio staples. While the experience of seeing Paul in concert is to go see the greatest popular songwriter of our time who still puts out great new music (such as last year's "NEW" album), Ringo will be a pure nostalgia trip and just a lot of fun. But make no mistake, Ringo is one of the greatest drummers in rock history, certainly one of the most influential, and a talented musician in his own right...don't buy in to the conventional wisdom that he isn't. While he wasn't as talented a songwriter or singer as his three former bandmates, he was just as integral to the Beatles sound and image as the other three and this will be a concert that will be great not only because we'll be seeing Ringo in person but because it will have loads of great music.

Plus, if I'm being honest, it will be cool to be able to say I've seen both Beatles!


No comments:

Post a Comment