Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving

Today is the Thanksgiving holiday here in the USA and I'd like to use this post to wish everyone who is celebrating today a very Happy Thanksgiving! 
For me as a lifelong New Englander, Thanksgiving comes at the time when autumn bleeds into winter, when the weather is cold, the days are short, the trees are bare, and the smells of pumpkins, apples, and spices fill the air. Our family's meal is always a mix of traditional Thanksgiving fare (turkey, stuffing, squash, etc) and our Greek food (spanikopita, tiropita, kefthethes, etc) and a time to truly eat, drink, and be merry...and also watch football! 

It's a day to reflect on what you have and how thankful you should be with it. Personally, I'm forever grateful to God for my wife, our four kids, our family, our friends, our health, and the wonderful food we're able to enjoy together on this special day. I'm also ever thankful that I am an American and that I live in this great country with all of its freedoms and opportunities (although it gets harder and harder to feel this way as the years pass, but that's for another, future post…). 

I hope everyone reading this who is celebrating Thanksgiving today is able to enjoy the day and be thankful for what they've got. Remember, it's not about (only) material things...it's about the people in your life and the other things that are (often) more important. 

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment