Monday, October 7, 2013

The Magical Mystery Listening Tour: Day 9

Today's listening is dominated by The Beatles, not on purpose, I swear! If you want to blame anyone, blame the English alphabet.

The Beatles - Anthology 1
The Beatles - Anthology 2
The Beatles - Anthology 3

The Beatles Anthology albums were HUGE deals when they came out in the mid-1990s. I was 15 years old when the first one was released and I remember being so excited about them; I pre-ordered them from my local record store (back in the pre-internet dark ages) so that I could have a copy reserved on the day they were released. Even to this day, they're massively enjoyable listens, even though in the years since I've been able to flesh out my collection of Beatles outtakes and rarities via bootleg collecting. Anthology 2, in particular, is a favorite of mine since it encompasses my favorite period of their music: 1965-68. The first half of Anthology 3 is also great as it contains demos and outtakes from my favorite Beatles album (the self-titled, or White Album), although the second half is let down by outtakes from the less than inspired Get Back sessions. My one quibble with all of the Anthology albums is the presence of "outfakes," that is, the grafting of different outtakes or versions into a new track. Maybe I'm just a purist but I would rather listen to them as is, warts and all, for any band (not just The Beatles). Still, it's a minor complaint of mine and overall, doesn't really diminish my listening enjoyment.

No comments:

Post a Comment