Sunday, September 29, 2013

New England vs. Olde England



As you may or may not know, I'm a bit of an Anglophile, mainly when it comes to music but also a lot of other things. I'm lucky enough to have gone there 3 times in my life so far (and hope to go again in the future). I've also been lucky enough to call the New England region of the USA my home for my entire life, apart from a year in Pennsylvania when I was a toddler (1982-83) and 2 years in South Carolina when I was a postdoc (2007-08). Of those remaining 30 years, I spent 2 1/2 of them living in Massachusetts and the other 27 1/2 years in New Hampshire. This is my home and I love it here. There are so many unique and special things about New England and I fully intend on writing about all of that in the future. 

However, the impetus for this post are conversations I've had with various friends and colleagues from the UK over many, many years. And that's because so many of our town and city names here in New England are (naturally!) copied from our mother country. The vast majority of names here are either English or Native American names. And I've confused a lot of online readers of my site and of my books who think I live in England when I mention towns around me with the same names!

With all of that said, I thought it would be fun to make a list of all of the duplicate names I can think of. I'm sure I'll miss some so if you can think of any more, feel free to chime in down below in the comments section!

TOWN/CITY NAMES IN BOTH NEW ENGLAND AND OLDE ENGLAND:

Dover (where my family and I are from) 
Portsmouth
Durham
Exeter
Rye
Hampton
Newcastle
Newmarket
Manchester
Marlborough
Peterborough (where my wife is from)
Plymouth (where I grew up)
Bath
Hull
Falmouth
Yarmouth
Colchester
Worcester
Leicester
Gloucester
Chichester
Chester
Derry
Londonderry
(New) London
Cambridge
Chelsea
York
Southampton
Northampton
Kingston
Bradford
Strafford
Windsor
Dudley
Oxford
Sandwich
Salisbury
Amesbury
Newbury
Sheffield
Lancaster
Boston
Ipswich
Reading
Warwick
Acton
Canterbury
Brighton
Warwick
Charlton


I'm sure I've missed some...help me out with this list and leave more below in the comments, please!






No comments:

Post a Comment