Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Born to Run

Some musings that my fellow runners and exercise enthusiasts may find interesting...

I've written before on here about how important running is to me. It not only got me into shape and healthier, but it's proven to be the best physical and mental therapy I could possibly ask for, no matter how a particular run goes. Now that I'm 2 1/2 years and 1350 miles (and counting) into it as a routine part of my life, I can't imagine living without it. I'm typically good for 20-25 miles a week, and at my peak I was running 8-9 miles each run, 3 times a week.

When we moved in June (only across town, but still it was a TON of work, mainly done by my wife while I was at work), I was only able to run a few times in the whole month. Once July rolled around, I tried to pick up where I'd left off, but found that I was only able to run a few miles before tiring out! (Yes, I realize it's silly to complain about being "out of shape" and being able to run "only 3 miles!").

I've stuck with it and slowly but surely, I'm getting back into form. I'm now back to running ~4-5 miles each time out with ease. My plan is to ramp back up to where I was at the end of May, which was around 8-9 miles, with my long term goal being to run a half-marathon distance of 13 miles.

The other big change is that I've transitioned from running solely in the evenings to running early in the mornings. It was a difficult transition at first but now I absolutely love it! The only drawback is that I am limited by time in the sense that I have to wake up earlier and earlier in order to stretch out my mileage. I'll have to think of a way to work around this, whether it's to get up even earlier (as it is, I'm up at 4:30am on my running days), or more likely, I will go into work a little later and simply work later to make up for it.

It's also changing from summer to autumn here in New England, so I've got to bear that in mind because even early in the mornings, it's COLD!

In any event, that's my running update for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment