Tuesday, September 27, 2011

A Lighthearted List of Signs That I May Be Getting Old...

...(from an admittedly young 31 yr old)

-With R.E.M. retiring last week and The Bluetones playing their final farewell shows this month before hanging it up, two of my favorite bands from the 1980s and 90s that I grew up listening to are finished. In fact, other than a handful of bands that have debuted over the last few years, everything I listen to is a band that's been around since I was younger that still happen to be active...

-In that vein, bands I liked as a teenager that broke up have reunited (Pixies, Soundgarden), while nostalgia has gripped two iconic bands that debuted when I was a teenager (Pearl Jam and Nirvana, both hitting 20 year anniversaries this year). And we used to make fun of the Stones being around for so long! (and I'm a Stones fan myself)

-I was reading a chapter-book with my soon-to-be 7 year old daughter that had one of the characters downloading songs from the internet and calling her dad on her cell phone when she needed to be picked up from a friend's house. And to my kids, this seems completely normal since they don't know anything different. When I mentioned buying records/tapes/CDs and using pay phones, they had no idea what I was talking about...

-The athletes on my favorite pro teams are either the same age as me (and getting ready to retire within the next few years) or are young enough that I was in junior high when they were born...

-My two oldest daughters are always asking me what it was like in the "old days...you know, the 80s and 90s!"

-I'm certainly no prude...I can be vulgar and laugh at disgusting humor with the best of them. But I haven't found a single "comedy" movie funny that's come out over the last 10 years or so, with rare exceptions (Anchorman, for example, is one such movie that WAS a riot)

-I can remember when the movies that are being remade now were new in the theatres in their original versions (Total Recall, for example). My kids and cousins have never heard of most of these...

I'm sure I'll come up with more of these as time goes on...this is certainly the first in a series of such humorous (I hope!) posts.


2 comments:

  1. Making lists about getting old is a clear sign of getting old.

    ReplyDelete