Wednesday, September 28, 2011

It's a Digital World, Baby


 I never thought I'd feel this way, but I think I'm at the point where, unless it's a band that I'm a hardcore fan of and I just *need* to have the physical CD with the artwork/booklet, I'm going to be sticking mainly to digital copies of my music. It's so much easier not to have to store boxes of CDs and to just keep my music on my iPod, computer, and Spotify.  Buying CDs just doesn't excite me as much as it used to, which is something I never would have thought I'd have said even a few years ago!

I do plan on purchasing the new Dream Theater album on CD, for example...they're one of my all-time favorite bands and they always have excellent album art. But other than the bands that I'm bonkers about, for me it's not worth the price and hassle of storing the discs when I can download them cheaper and they take up no space in my house.

I should add that this in no means is meant to imply that I dislike record stores or want them to go out of business. I still *LOVE* going to my local indie record store and spending a lot of time browsing and buying stuff. I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm going to be much more selective about it from now on. Unless it's an "essential" band to me, digital is just fine. (cue my fellow audiophiles saying "but mp3s sound so shit compared to what comes out of your sound system at home!" I agree, but for a lot of stuff, it's not that much of a difference to me anymore to warrant the outlay of cash and storage space in my basement!)

I'm wondering if anyone else my age (30s) is beginning to feel this way or already does?

No comments:

Post a Comment